The Collector plays a pivotal role in the District Administration and is in the Cadre of I.A.S.
The roles and responsibilities of the Collector in brief are as follows:
- Head of the District Administration; specifically with full establishment powers in the Departments of Revenue Administration and related Departments like Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Social Welfare, ICDS and Town Panchayats.
- Maintenance of Law and Order, and magisterial duties as District Magistrate, which involve supervision of the Executive Magistrates as well as original powers under the CrPC, 1973; Act 14 of 1982 , and other Statutes.
- Disaster Management and Mitigation.
- Inter-departmental co-ordination with a view to implementation of various Government schemes, with specific focus on the flagship Schemes of the Government.
- Public Grievance Redressal by disposal of the petitions received by the Hon’ble Chief Minister, and also at the Monday Grievance Day/Mass Contact Programmes.
Offices in the Collectorate
- Section A : Deals with Establishment, Office Procedures, Jamabandhi Tabal and Despatches
- Section B : Patta Transfer, Land Transfer, Land Lease, Land Acquisition and Land Encroachment
- Section C : Land Acquisition, Railway Land, House Site Patta
- Section D : Deals with Law and Oder, Magisterial (Court/Legal) Matters, Explosive and Other Licenses
- Section E : Social Security Scheme, CMUPT and CM Relief Fund
- Section F : Election and Census Work
- Section G : Revenue Recovery Act, Srilankan Refugees and Miscellaneous
- Section H : Audit, HBA Loan and Collector Discretionary Fund
- Section J : Disaster Management, Rainfall and TNPSC Exams
- Excise : State Excise, TASMAC management
- DSO Office : Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection
- PO (DRDA) : District Rural Development Agency
- APO-I : Infrastructure
- APO (E&W) : Employment and Wages
- APO (H & S) : Housing and Sanitation
- EE (RD) : Executive Engineer (Rural Development)
- AEE (Roads and Bridges)
- AEE (Rural Development)
- A.O : Accounts Officer
- PA(NM) : School Noon Meals Related Activites
- A.D(TP) : Town Panchatyats related Activities
- AD(Panchayats and Audit)
- SFC Fund Release
- Drinking Water
- Panchayat Inspection
- Panchayat Union and Panchayats Audit
- PA (Panchayat Development)
- PA1 : Joint Director/AD Level Officers, Engineering, Road Inspector, Over Seer Establishments, Retired AD, JD Level Officers Establishments
- PA2 : Junior Assistant, Assistant, Record Clerk, Driver, Office Assistant, Night Watchmen Establishment, Compassionate ground, appointment, Retirement Establishments and Court Cases
- PA3 : Office Establishment – Preparing Pay Bill, GPF, Surrender, Increment
- PA4 : Miscelleneous, GDP, CM Cell, RTI, Meeting Subject and Line Department Meeting Subject
- PA5 : Panchayat Secretary Establishment, Court Cases
- PA6 : BDO and Dy BDO Establishment and Retirement Pension Preoposals and Benefts Etc
- PA7: Passing of bills, TA bills of AD Level ;officers, telephone bill EB bills, Office staff TA Bills contigent bills etc